Monday, March 11, 2013

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer (Part one)

Thanks to Woody Allen for that gem.

I may come across as a sex crazed blogger having already recently written a post about sex and advertising but I am not... Well not really. I just had a lot of awesome sex ads left over and I thought they deserved the spotlight too. Although this time they are much more humorous and a little less macabre.

OK so it's not an ad, but I wish it was. Lets just say it is an ad for the sake of discussion. This simple red and white depiction of what happens when you shake a coke bottle could be construed as innocent, until you see the headline. Men are like Coke. What? So they are bad for your health? They are a significant cause for obesity, diabetes, and weakening bone structures? Full of gas? If you shove a Mentos down their throats do they explode??

No my dear, innocent reader, they mean something a little more PG 16. If you shake a Coke bottle, like you may shake a mans penis (although I strongly suggest a smoother less violent action), they will explode and both will get your hands sticky. Similarly both can go in your mouth. If you are thinking "Thank god I am not the only guy with one that shape" then I am sorry but you are wrong, you are a freak and will die a lonely crazy cat man.

I agree that its a bit low rent for mainstream media but I can definitely see it being used in a Cosmo's annual (read monthly) sex issue or something to that effect. It is clever, simple and not overtly perverted and it made me laugh during a week of hell.


 Lifestyles condoms by Mortierbrigade, Brussels, Belgium

I have a large collection of condom ads, you could call me a connoisseur of sorts. There is a wealth of great condom ads out there that encompass wit and innuendo without being blatantly perverse (or maybe a bit perverse if your imagination is one that leads you to the proverbial gutter- as long as its not the proverbial drain).

This one is for Lifestyles range of ribbed condoms. The insight for this ad is that condoms are a bit of a let down compared to the feeling of an "unsheathed sword". For this reason condom companies come out with lines of textured "third leg stockings" to stimulate their customers female counterparts to the point of undeniable pleasure which would result in juice obviously implying lady juice ( I don't know a "nice" way to put that). This ad implies that without the textured ribs on their condoms, women will fail to be satisfied and thus won't achieve orgasm. The visual used is a juicer without the grooves or "ribs" that would usually squeeze the juice out. It is a perfectly innocent way to show a not so innocent topic and that's why (and how) I like it.

Give longer. Take longer Love machine condoms Jung von Matt/Alster, Hamburg, Germany

Men want to be known as having the stamina of a carthorse (carthorses do in fact have incredible stamina) and to be well-hung stallions with penises reminiscent of battering rams. To help them along, Love Machine Condoms have produced a line of love gloves that can delay orgasm in order to prolong the act of baby making practice in order to achieve maximum pleasure levels for both parties involved. They use a very titillating image of a woman's arched back obviously receiving some backdoor pleasure, which according to all the men I have asked, is one of the best views ever. This coupled with a tattooed crossword that implies that the act at hand is going to take a while makes this a very interesting ad to contemplate

However, while it is a clever and interesting visual it makes me think that, like standing in line at the traffic department, it may take too long and in fact become boring enough to actually DO a crossword puzzle. Good ad until I thought about it for long enough. Thankfully for Love Machine- most people don't.

Condomi ultra thin condoms by DRAFTFCB KOBZA, Vienna, Austria

I don't mean to burst your bubble but... Anyone else see a fatal flaw in this ad for Condomi? Yes men like to feel like they aren't actually wearing a condom but at the same time I don't think that using a visual metaphor in the form of something that bursts into thin air at the slightest touch is going to instill any sort of trust in them. GREAT visual, bad ad.

Before I end off I would like say 400 views, 4 weeks, 4posts. Without readers I would not be as inspired as I have been lately. So from the bottom of derriere, which is bigger than my heart, I thank you for reading my whimsical ramblings and I hope you will keep coming back.




No comments:

Post a Comment